Welcome to Tezi Mandee - Community Of Pakistani Investors & Traders
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Welcome to Tezi Mandee - Community Of Pakistani Investors & Traders

Welcome to Tezi Mandee - Community Of Pakistani Investors & Traders, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of Tezi Mandee - Community Of Pakistani Investors & Traders by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get latest news on Karachi Stock Market
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Registered member get added in mailing list for mailing updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Be the first to know the KSE latest announcements shared by our members
  • Registered members get access to Protected Forums and topics
  • Registration is free Create Account
  • If you are already a member just Sign in
To Create Account ( Click Here )
To Sign In ( Click Here )

Fair Value

- - - - -

29 replies to this topic

Sonu Panjwani

• 333 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06
  • Skin: Main Blue

Current mood: None chosen
    Fair Values for All Scripts ?

Try to find out from Different Brokerage Houses....
    Cheers,
    SK.

Muhammed Jawed

• Senior
    • 345 posts
    • Joined 18-February 06

Asalamo Alaikum,

Can anybody teach us how to calculate Fair Value ? Nowadays every brokerage house is giving different fair value due to different approach... What are these different approches???
    Duniya Fani, Duniya Fani, Duniya Fani ALLAH Baqi
    Keep remember me & my parents in your prayers
    Happy Moments Praise ALLAH...................
    Difficult Moments Seek ALLAH.................
    Quiet Moments Worship ALLAH..................
    Painful Moments Trust ALLAH..................
    MOMENT BY MOMENT SHUKAR ALLAH AL-HAMDOLILLAH.

alam

• Senior
    • 1,097 posts
    • Joined 19-February 06

View PostMuhammed Jawed, on Mar 23 2006, 01:16 PM, said:

Asalamo Alaikum,

Can anybody teach us how to calculate Fair Value ? Nowadays every brokerage house is giving different fair value due to different approach... What are these different approches???

Very difficult. PAryaal and Samina from KSEFUNGROUP know how to do it. in fact one of them posted the calculation somewhere but havent been able to find it. am just posting what i found in another forum.

---------------------------------------------------
    Calculating the fair value of a stock is easy. The problem is what set of numbers do you use?

To come up with (near-term) fair value you simply multiply the estimated annual earnings of a company (E)by the P/E of its industry. P/E x E = P (future price).

But whose EPS estimate do you use? The number varies from analyst to analyst. Even the consensus number varies a bit, depending on the source.

An even greater problem is where do you get the industry P/E? Again, that varies according to the source.

For example, what is the fair value of Radvision (RVSN)? Its current price is 20.05. Using Yahoo!Finance as the source the annual EPS estimate for RVSN is 0.81. The industry P/E is 40.3. So the fair value is 0.81(40.3) or 32.64.

The problem is that Yahoo!Finance places RVSN in the Processing Systems and Products industry. IBD does not have such an industry group. They place RVSN in the Computer-Networking group. If we go back to Yahoo!Finance we find that the P/E of the Computer-Networking group is 24.7. Now if we multiply the annual EPS estimate for RVSN (0.81) by 24.7 we come up with a fair value of 20.00. Quite a difference, and in this case very close to the current price of the stock.

To help avoid comparing apples and oranges here we would need IBD to calculate industry P/Es, which to my knowledge they do not do. But even if they did, there are many companies that do not neatly fit into industry groups. A company like CSCO is easy to place. Both IBD and Yahoo!Finance put it in the Computer-Networking group, and that makes sense. What is really needed, and will not happen, is to standardize industry groupings.

Eddie

------------------------------------------------------------------

Eddie - glad to see you see the "topic" in a central location and your response. Yes, it would be a big help if IBD would at least give us an industry average for the groups (non-standard with S&P or anyone else).

One problem occurs when analyst estimates aren't available (use plan B) and in that case we still need the industry pe average. (O'Neill has another way to calculate fair value and probably the reason they don't want to provide information on industry pes to calculate like most of Wall Street does).

If we Company L has a pe of 12 and at the price of 15 and industry pe is 24, then we can estimate the near term fair value by comparing pes in a proportional manner.

F.V. - 24/12 x $15 = $30. But we prefer to use analyst estimates if available first (Plan A). Then we can get near term and long term (i.g. 2006 and 2007 estimates).

Best of Success
    Bruce (Poorman)

--------------------------------------------

asadabs wrote:
    Salam,

I always wonder how do these analysts are able to calculate the fair value of the stocks. As i am in process of becoming financial analyst. i want to share a method to calculate the fair value of the stocks.
    for eg,
    a company AA give four percent dividend on its 10 rupee share i.e. 4 rupee per share. and the bank interest rate is 2.5%. Then the fair value of the stock can be computed as follows,

fair value : 4 /2.5*100 = 160.

I want all the expert people on this forum to share their views about the discussion may also share their methods to calculate the fair value of stocks.
    thanks
    Asad Abbas
    -------------------------------------------------------

well there u have missed some thing very important, tht is risk u r taking by investing in stocks plus 2.5% return ur taking is on bank deposits for short term, where as investor can still get 8% on national saving schemes.
    so for example if i can get 8% and risk premium of 5% investing in stocks then fair value of stock which is giving me 4/13*100= 30.77.
    Fair values will differ depending on risk premium.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The calculation for fair value is relatively simple as long as you have access to the variables involved. The formula that is generally used for calculation the fair value of the futures contract is: CASH[1+R(X/365)]- DIVIDENDS-CASH. Rember that once calculated based on the previous days trading, the fair value remains constant until the market opens the following day. In contrast, the futures contract that fluctuates in price as it trades before the stock market opens. So if you see the futures contract trading up or down from the previous day's settlement, you have a fixed basis to compare it to (the fair value plus or minus the level at which futures are trading.) You have to compute a few things beforehand to plug into the equation.
    1. dividend calculation = (SPX x D) x (DTE/365)
    a. SPX is the closing value of the specific index
    b. D is the current dividend yield on the SPX
    c. DTE is the number of days until the contract expires.

2. Besides the value for the dividend you must know:
    a. R is current interest rate measured by three month treasury bill or LIBOR.
    b. X represents time remaining until current futures contract expires.
    c. Cash is the closing value of the actual index, in this case the SPX.

Just passing this along for anyone who might be interested in it. You can get a much better explanation by going to the site. Full of good stuff.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I myself find this confusing. i will try to find something more simple.

Regards

M.Alam

AbDuLmAtEeNkHaN

CAPTAIN

• TEAM
    • 12,806 posts
    • Joined 10-February 06

Current mood: Busy
    Alam bhai .. Superb ...MasshAllah …. Thx for gathering all the helping stuff at one place....

Posted Image

Click Here For: "Daily Reports From Different Brokerage Houses"
    Note: Please make your own due diligence before making any decision

Regards,
    Abdul Mateen Khan

alam

• Senior
    • 1,097 posts
    • Joined 19-February 06

Below is a definition of Fair Value that even i can calculate:)
    Now the problem is getting the Industry group PE. That is where i think the FV's of different brokerage houses are differing. Each of them could be using different Industry group PE. This here is subjective so little bit of difference is not that surprising. I have found different volumes of KSE 100 from different websites which is very perplexing. It should be same but in reality it is not. Problem could be if there is great disparity in the FV. If it is within a certain range then you have got a range to play in.

regards

M.Alam

---------------------------------

Steven,

A suggestion for you would be to look over the Poorman's Corner thread on this forum. Solid information that has helped me tremendously. One thing I've learned is to check fo Fair Values to make sure there is some upside potential to justify a stock going higher. I know IBD doesn't stress PE's, but if you had looked at the Industry Group PE on Reuter's and multiplied that number by the projected earnings, you would realize that this stock is well over fair value now. Using Reuter's numbers, I have a current year fair value of $54.32 (Ind Grp PE 21.3 X current year EPS $2.55)and next year fair value at $66.24 (Ind Grp PE 21.3 X next year EPS $3.11). Momentum might take the stock higher but compared to it's peers it is overvalued. You can get the Ind Grp PE data for free off of Reuters.com along with the future earnings data.

Good luck
    Jerry C.

Daba Khan

Advanced Member

• 525 posts
    • Joined 21-April 06

I have been feeling the Fair Value of Research Reports of different brokerage house give different Fair Value which is unfair.

Here I will start this topic to guide Small investor how to Calculate fair value.
    If any of you know then share your knowledge.

QUOTE(Daba Khan @ Apr 23 2006, 11:48 AM)

NBP fair value 350 = AKD
    NBP fair value 200 = InvestCap

Can anybody explain why and how to calculate FAIR VALUE?

Today in Geo TV Tezimandee Host Fawad Called
    Mr. Abudallah Amin Research Head, AKD (Fair Value NBP Rs.292/-)
    Mr. Khalid Iqab Reseach Head, Invescap (Fair Value NBP Rs.210/-)

To ask why there is a difference Fair Value of NBP i.e. Rs.82/-
    But they could not satisfy and finally they told the investor should read both
    reports and decide by himself/herself whose Fair Value is right.

This is totally unfair, why investor decide by himself/herself if such a reputed
    Brokerage houses giving fair value, and why don't rely upon them.

This is not a singel case, there are so many Research Houses quoting different
    fair values for different items.
    SECP should take notice and suitable action before innocent investors are trapped.

Thank you Geo TV to respond on my request.

Karachi Stock Exchange (KSE) Daily Reports

Top Pakistani Sites        Haroof Top Sites    Promoted at Global Promote

Indemnity, Disclaimer & Disclosure Notice:
    • By visiting TeziMandee.com you indicate your acceptance of our Forum Rules Disclaimer & Disclosure and indemnify TeziMandee.com, its associates and related parties of all claims howsoever resulting from the usage of the forum.
    Disclaimer: Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility. TeziMandee.com will not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.
    Disclosure: The information in this forum is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.
    • All names or products mentioned are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.

Copyright © 2006 - 2012, TeziMandee.com All Rights Reserved.
    eXTReMe Tracker