Welcome to Tezi Mandee - Community Of Pakistani Investors & Traders
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Welcome to Tezi Mandee - Community Of Pakistani Investors & Traders

Welcome to Tezi Mandee - Community Of Pakistani Investors & Traders, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Be a part of Tezi Mandee - Community Of Pakistani Investors & Traders by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get latest news on Karachi Stock Market
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Registered member get added in mailing list for mailing updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Be the first to know the KSE latest announcements shared by our members
  • Registered members get access to Protected Forums and topics
  • Registration is free Create Account
  • If you are already a member just Sign in
To Create Account ( Click Here )
To Sign In ( Click Here )

Sectoral Data Format

- - - - -

6 replies to this topic

alam

• Senior
  • 1,097 posts
  • Joined 19-February 06
  • Skin: Main Blue

Current mood: None chosen
    Somewhere i read that it is good practice not only to see how the particular scrip is behaving but also the behaviour of the sector/group it belongs to. I am interested in charting this behaviour on any charting package. My problem is what is the best format. Any body who has experience in this respect can suggest.
    Kse's download file "allshare.lis" contains the sectoral data in the following format:
    All Share Index Specification

Field 1. Sector Code
    Field 2 Sector Name
    Field 3 Market Capitalization
    Field 4 Current Turnover
    Field 5 Total New Traded
    Field 6 Previous Index
    Field 7 Current Index
    Field 8 Index Net Change
    Field 9 Market Capitalization Percentage
    Field 10 Market Traded Percentage

my two cents:

Sector name
    previous index
    current index

i dont know what kind of chart will it give if it gives any at all. chartists, TA practitioners any suggestions.

regards

M.alam

alam

• Senior
    • 1,097 posts
    • Joined 19-February 06

View Postalam, on Oct 15 2006, 01:16 AM, said:

Somewhere i read that it is good practice not only to see how the particular scrip is behaving but also the behaviour of the sector/group it belongs to. I am interested in charting this behaviour on any charting package. My problem is what is the best format. Any body who has experience in this respect can suggest.
    Kse's download file "allshare.lis" contains the sectoral data in the following format:
    All Share Index Specification

Field 1. Sector Code
    Field 2 Sector Name
    Field 3 Market Capitalization
    Field 4 Current Turnover
    Field 5 Total New Traded
    Field 6 Previous Index
    Field 7 Current Index
    Field 8 Index Net Change
    Field 9 Market Capitalization Percentage
    Field 10 Market Traded Percentage

my two cents:

Sector name
    previous index
    current index

i dont know what kind of chart will it give if it gives any at all. chartists, TA practitioners any suggestions.

regards

M.alam

I had a look at graphs of some sectors in stockcharts.com. There graphs are in the same format as that of the individual scrips, i.e Open,High,low,close. Unfortunately KSE doesnt provide that info. I have written to them, let us see what happens. Till that time we have to live with what we have got. Just the two values previous and current index is good enough at the time being to establish the trend.
    If this data was available in the same format as the daily data of all the scrips in either "txt" or "csv" format, it would be great. One could i presume import in AmiB and voila we are in the business.
    Experts and gurus please comment. I have already represented the novices:)

regards

M.Alam

Adeel

• Senior
    • 237 posts
    • Joined 24-March 06

View Postalam, on Oct 15 2006, 08:47 PM, said:

I had a look at graphs of some sectors in stockcharts.com. There graphs are in the same format as that of the individual scrips, i.e Open,High,low,close. Unfortunately KSE doesnt provide that info. I have written to them, let us see what happens. Till that time we have to live with what we have got. Just the two values previous and current index is good enough at the time being to establish the trend.
    If this data was available in the same format as the daily data of all the scrips in either "txt" or "csv" format, it would be great. One could i presume import in AmiB and voila we are in the business.
    Experts and gurus please comment. I have already represented the novices:)

regards

M.Alam
    You are right that KSE's sectoral data file does not provide high and low for a day and I would add that it even does not provide an open. all you can do is to chart the close value in a line graph. bar/candle chart can not be prepared with the available data.

Secondly a hidden fact which will pop up when you will import data into metastock or amibroker is that you need a symbol for each sector and as we know we don't have one in that file mentioned in your post, therefore we will have to either rely on the sector code and memorize it or data vendor site will have to develope their own sector symbols in order to make the data files importable in metastock/amibroker.
    Adeel Akhtar,

alam

• Senior
    • 1,097 posts
    • Joined 19-February 06

Guess we will have to live with what we have got:)

Thanks, appreciate your looking into this matter.

Regards

M.Alam

alam

• Senior
    • 1,097 posts
    • Joined 19-February 06

View PostAdeel, on Oct 16 2006, 07:37 PM, said:

You are right that KSE's sectoral data file does not provide high and low for a day and I would add that it even does not provide an open. all you can do is to chart the close value in a line graph. bar/candle chart can not be prepared with the available data.

Secondly a hidden fact which will pop up when you will import data into metastock or amibroker is that you need a symbol for each sector and as we know we don't have one in that file mentioned in your post, therefore we will have to either rely on the sector code and memorize it or data vendor site will have to develope their own sector symbols in order to make the data files importable in metastock/amibroker.

Adeel,

This symbol but puts a damper on the things. To circumvent one could try this approach:

We have Open Ended Mutual Funds at number one on the list. Say we give it a symbol OEMF.
    Similarly we progress with each number and giving it a corresponding symbol. We get a file with 35 symbols corresponding to the numbers in a single column format. Once the file has been imported in "csv" format the numbers columns is replaced by pasting this symbols column. A macro could also be written to automate this.
    I am contemplating whether all this effort is worth it or not. after all some people are making great progress with the available data instead of overloading their charts with more and more indicators.

Regards

M.Alam

Adeel

• Senior
    • 237 posts
    • Joined 24-March 06

View Postalam, on Oct 23 2006, 09:49 AM, said:

Adeel,

This symbol but puts a damper on the things..........................

Regards

M.Alam
    I am still not sure how will I do this but what I am sure at is that I will somehow do it

View Postalam, on Oct 23 2006, 09:49 AM, said:

Adeel,
    I am contemplating whether all this effort is worth it or not. after all some people are making great progress with the available data instead of overloading their charts with more and more indicators.

Regards

M.Alam
    I always wanted say this but never could becuase of your excitement about sectoral data. If you can read the individual scrip chart correctly then you don't need anything else not even the fundamentals of that scrip.
    Adeel Akhtar,

Karachi Stock Exchange (KSE) Daily Reports

Top Pakistani Sites        Haroof Top Sites    Promoted at Global Promote

Indemnity, Disclaimer & Disclosure Notice:
    • By visiting TeziMandee.com you indicate your acceptance of our Forum Rules Disclaimer & Disclosure and indemnify TeziMandee.com, its associates and related parties of all claims howsoever resulting from the usage of the forum.
    Disclaimer: Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility. TeziMandee.com will not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.
    Disclosure: The information in this forum is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.
    • All names or products mentioned are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.

Copyright © 2006 - 2012, TeziMandee.com All Rights Reserved.
    eXTReMe Tracker